// Class Notes Dump //
1. Corwin / Stella : Northern Illinois
2. Tamara / Alize : Istanbul
3. Molly / Stella and Letiticia: Chicago community gardens
4. Zhe You Lee / Nathan Green : Cambodia <<<
5. Omur’s stuff : Konya <<<
6. Bruno LaTour : Master Class/Interview
7. Beate’s work <<<
The expendable reader John mchale >>> https://www.abebooks.com/Expendable-Reader-Articles-Art-Architecture-Design/22660324941/bd?cm_mmc=ggl-_-US_Shopp_Trade-_-naa-_-naa&gclid=Cj0KCQjwk8b7BRCaARIsAARRTL6Wq7Bl21eZvORPjk8S0ovYs19Je3JztO83AVJ0-HHNgr56VfCzB-oaAkx-EALw_wcB
Geoff han >>> https://walkerart.org/magazine/physical-labor-an-interview-with-geoff-han
K-hole >>> http://khole.net/
Other ways to place shape into relationship with text
- Weingart (desert sketches)
- Ways of breaking type according to language
- Can you use language to map onto shapes
- Should the shapes be random?
- shapes from photos or content we have?
- Dig into specific work?
Info Design – Joost Grootens >>> https://vimeo.com/53597008
?? Type Sketch ??
- black and white
- letter size
- choose a text and work through it (bruno latour Interview? Or Cambodia?)
- How/where does this thing live?
Wednesday 9/30// Groups //
1) Corwin/Stella: Northern Illinois — Emina, MiKealy, Mariah
2) Tamara/Alize: Istanbul — Yiyi, Bansri, Jiapei
3) Molly/Stella/Leticia: Chicago Community Gardens — Sarah, Anya, Grace
4) Zhe Yu Lee/Nathan Green: Cambodia — NA
5) Omur: Konya — Arda, Abinash ,MoMo
6) Bruno Latour — Oscar, Josh, Daniel
7) Beate Geissler — Nicole, Layne, Jenii
// Group Meeting //
survey the content and report back
what preliminary concepts might fit this content?
what are some global constraints that might organize all the (local) sections?
what overall generic or material form do you imagine for your section?
Preface and front matter
Experiments with sound and image from masterclass
How do we make academic concepts visual or digestible?
- Books of different form bound together
- Under-filled spiral bind (1” worth of content with a 3” spiral bind)
- pages left blank that can be printed at home at a later date
- Blank pages for notes
- Way of encouraging reader to treat their own site as a space for research into the anthropocene
// Beate Discussion //
Intersection of addiction and the anthropocene
Performance as format
- freedom provided
- collaging/montaging thoughts
- performance based on phases of addiction
- Slavoj Zizek >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShJiiMqEsgA
Skinner – Behavioralist >>> https://www.simplypsychology.org/operant-conditioning.html
Brackets as model for diagrammatic text
Questions of alchemy and improving ourselves
Pathologize our behavior as a reaction to the world we live in
Substance (as abstraction) : drugs, tech, money, ???
Panzer Chocolate – Meth in chocolate for germans in WWII
martin behaim globe / earth apple >>> https://www.google.com/search?q=martin+behaim+globe&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS777US777&sxsrf=ALeKk01cD6JlCue4blfhRlJ1BbJIsupMCA:1601482738999&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiU9pWOpJHsAhXLLc0KHUQrCYMQ_AUoAXoECCUQAw&biw=1359&bih=1338#imgrc=trUi2vkM3pSy9M&imgdii=9sLJmOVWEQLKDM >>> https://media.davidrumsey.com/rumsey/Size4/RUMSEY~8~1/168/12237021.jpg
- related to technology and the techno-sphere
- ways of contextualizing or confusing the world around us
- trade and entertainment are represented
- tangible and intangible